Stormwater pollution, runoff and drainage complaints

As a end result of Brisbane’s climate and topography, problems with stormwater runoff can be a common problem for Brisbane City Council residents. Pollution, flooding and nuisance troubles from stormwater runoff can result in environmental harm, harm to property and misery to residents.

Council investigates water pollution discharged to the city’s waterways, catchments and bay. Examples consist of soil, sand, silt, mud, constructing waste, concrete, paint, green waste, and car, roof or driveway cleansing runoff that are released either directly, or via roadside gutters and stormwater drains.

If you don’t put into effect splendid control measures, you can obtain on-the-spot fines for breaches of the Planning Act 2016 or the Environmental Protection Act 1994.

Prosecution and court docket penalties for principal improvement and environmental offences may additionally exceed $1 million.

Report stormwater pollution, runoff and drainage complaints

You can document non-urgent ESC issues online if you see contaminants coming into the stormwater machine or waterway.

Alternatively, if your request is urgent, phone Council’s Contact Centre on 07 3403 8888.

Other complaints and civil issues

Council also responds to complaints about nuisances and flooding as an end result of unlawful or incorrectly developed structures and structures.

Water glide issues triggered by way of the herbal lay of the land, or from overland flow, are a civil matter.

If you have an difficulty with any of the following, you have to first speak to your neighbour:

  • natural floor seepage on private property
  • diverting or blockading the herbal flow of water from landscaping, fences and partitions or a small trench (except where water collects and becomes stagnant)
  • pool overflow induced by using rainfall.

Existing rubble pits:

  • are a lawful point of discharge (provided they are designed and built lawfully)
  • become overland flow when they overflow
  • are not proper lawful points of discharge for new traits or lot configurations.

Council recommends you take the time to speak to your neighbours about any flooding troubles you have. In many cases, neighbours can work collectively to reach a decision to fulfil everyone’s needs.

Disputes resolution

For records on disputes resolution, study ‘settling disputes out of court’ on the Queensland Government website.

Private stormwater lines

Council does not hold private stormwater lines

Council encourages property owners with houses with built prior to 1975 to drain their stormwater to a suitable lawful factor of discharge such as the kerb and channel. It is no longer a requirement of Council except the site is redeveloped or the integrity of the ‘grey line’ is compromised and alternate drainage is sought.

For houses built after 1975, Council requires stormwater be managed in an authorised manner (eg directed to Council stormwater mains, kerb and channel). For guidelines on stormwater connections, contact an approved constructing certifier. Look up constructing certifiers in the Yellow Pages beneath ‘building surveyors’.

It is important to maintain stormwater drains clear at all instances to help forestall storm injury and flooding. It is now not perfect for stormwater to drain into greywater lines or without delay onto the ground.

Lawful factors of discharge

For new trends or reconfiguration of an existing lot, you need to make sure a lawful point of discharge is used for stormwater. This capacity the stormwater pipe connects to a drain taking water away barring causing nuisance flooding for neighbours.

Download a fact sheet to help you decide what is a suitable point of discharge:

  • Connecting to Council’s stormwater device – statistics for builders
  • Connecting to Council’s stormwater system – data for neighbours

Guidelines and permits

You must gain a allow from Council if you are connecting to:

  • Council’s stormwater drainage
  • the kerb and channel.